Classic New England style clam chowder
Clam Chowder Ingredients:
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/4 tsp. chopped garlic
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 quart milk
- 1 cup clams (in juice)
- 1 cup diced potatoes
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
Clam Chowder Directions:
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large soup pot.
- Add onion, celery, leeks, and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from heat. Stir in flour. Mix well.
- Add milk. Whisk it like you really mean it!
- Set a colander over soup pot. Pour clams into the colander allowing the juice to drain into the pot. When completely strained, set clams aside.
- Return pot to heat (med-high heat) and slowly bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Add potatoes and seasonings. Reduce heat to low.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add clams and let simmer an additional 6-9 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in heavy cream. Let simmer another minute or two.
- Serve in hot sourdough bread bowls or in your favorite cup or bowl.